On 20 April 2021, the House of Lords will debate “the steps taken to protect jobs and livelihoods as the economy recovers from the Covid-19 pandemic”.
The following sources provide information and commentary on the subject. They cover the impact of coronavirus on jobs and businesses and policies aimed at minimising this impact. It also includes recommendations for rebuilding this aspect of the economy.
House of Commons Library
- Coronavirus: Returning to Work, 13 April 2021; and Coronavirus: Getting People Back into Work, 15 March 2021
- Coronavirus: Impact on the Labour Market, 25 March 2021
- Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme: Statistics, 29 March 2021; and The Furlough Scheme: One Year On, 24 March 2021
- Coronavirus: Self-Employment Income Support Scheme, 18 March 2021
- Budget 2021: Additional Business Rate Reliefs in England, 29 March 2021
House of Lords Library
- Covid-19: empowering women in the recovery from the impact of the pandemic, 8 March 2021
- Covid-19: impact on low-income families and social security support, 2 October 2020
- Building an inclusive society in the post-pandemic world, 9 April 2021; and Covid-19: Fairer, Cleaner and More Sustainable Economy, 4 June 2020
- House of Lords Economic Affairs Committee, Employment and COVID-19: Time for a New Deal, 14 December 2020, HL Paper 188 of session 2019–21; and HM Treasury, Government Response to the Lords Economic Affairs Committee’s Report on Employment and Covid-19, February 2021
- House of Commons Public Accounts Committee, Covid-19: Support for Jobs, 20 December 2020, HC 920 of session 2019–21; and Response from HM Treasury and HM Revenue and Customs, 25 March 2021
- House of Commons Treasury Committee, Economic Impact of Coronavirus: Gaps in Support and Economic Analysis, 15 February 2021, HC 882 of session 2019–21; Economic Impact of Coronavirus: the Challenges of Recovery, 11 September 2020, HC 271 of session 2019–21; and Government Response, 20 November 2020, HC 999 of session 2019–21
Government material and official statistics
- HM Treasury, Build Back Better: Our Plan for Growth, 3 March 2021
- UK Government website, ‘Work and financial support’ (links to guidance), accessed 15 April 2021
- Office for National Statistics, ‘Labour market overview, UK: March 2021’, 23 March 2021; and ‘Which jobs are most likely to have seen a drop in pay during the pandemic?’, 5 March 2021
- Office for National Statistics, ‘Business insights and impact on the UK economy’, 8 April 2021
- McKinsey Global Institute, ‘Future of work after Covid-19’, 18 February 2021
- Institute for Fiscal Studies, UK Economic Outlook: the Long Road to Recovery, October 2020
- London School of Economics and Political Science, et al, ‘Jobs for a strong and sustainable recovery from Covid-19’, October 2020
Cover image by Tim Douglas on Pexels.